Job Title: Education & Music Administration Assistant
Reports to: Director of Education and Youth Opera Music Director/Music Administrator
Works Closely With: Director of Artistic Administration and Company Manager
The Education & Music Administration Assistant will provide administrative and project support to Sarasota Opera’s education programs and music administration department. The assistant will also serve as accompanist for Sarasota Youth Opera (SYO), a unique performance program for young people ages 8 to 18 with an enrollment of 80-100 individuals.
Scope and Impact:
The Education & Music Administration Assistant will work closely with the Director of Education to further the reach and scope of SYO through the satellite chorus program. He/she will also support the Youth Opera Music Director during SYO rehearsals, accompanying all youth ensembles and serving as an assistant conductor for SYO’s annual full-scale productions. This position also plays an important role by providing administrative support for music administration projects.
Essential Job Functions:
Education and Youth Engagement
- Facilitate Youth Opera day to day, including:
- Process enrollment paperwork and payments
- Maintain student records and files via Excel, Tessitura, and paper files
- Track student attendance and process absence requests
- Serve as a point of contact and source of information for parents and youth singers
- Serve as accompanist for all Youth Opera rehearsals and performances
- Assist with education and youth programs, including;
- Annual three-week summer workshop
- Annual youth opera production
- Mainstage children’s chorus management
- Represent Sarasota Youth Opera and education programs as directed
- Other administrative duties as assigned
- Facilitate music library resource needs for artistic and production staff
- Produce and distribute materials for current and upcoming productions and concerts, including SYO needs
- Assist with;
- Preparation of orchestral parts for upcoming productions and concerts, including bowing and conductor marking transfer
- Maintaining database of digital materials
- Artistic mailings as needed
- Work with Company Manager to maintain supply levels of paper and binding materials
- Other music administration duties as assigned
- Ability to read music and accompany an ensemble
- Associate’s or bachelor’s degree in a related field
- An interest in opera and education
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Proficiency with Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube
- Knowledge and/or experience with Tessitura a plus
- Knowledge and/or experience with music writing software a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, and articulate
- Desire and enthusiasm to work with children and families
Selected candidates must pass a level two background screening as required by the State of Florida for individuals
supervising young people in after-school and summer camp programs
Full-time, non-exempt, required to attend events and be present after hours during production and performance periods (Oct-Nov, Jan-March). During the school year, the typical workweek is Tuesday-Saturday with extended days/hours during production/performance periods. The workweek adjusts to Monday-Friday during summer months and December. Vacation is not granted during performance periods.
Salary: Low $30,000’s plus benefits. EOE
Send resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to [email protected].
Please include information pertaining to your accompanying/piano skills which may include video(s), explanation of skills, and/or references who can speak to your accompanying abilities.
Applications accepted until position is filled.
ABOUT YOUTH ENGAGEMENT AT SARASOTA OPERA
Sarasota Opera's mission includes the mandate "to entertain, enrich, and educate our communities, as well as patrons from across the state and around the world." Through a variety of education and outreach initiatives we provide opportunities for all members of our community to share our passion for the operatic art form. Outreach initiatives include; Invitation to Opera, Opera Artists In Schools, Exploration in Opera, Opera House History/Career Tours, and our ongoing partnership with University of South Florida’s Sarasota-Manatee PAInT Center.
ABOUT SARASOTA YOUTH OPERA
For 32 years Sarasota Youth Opera has given thousands of young people an opportunity to experience opera first hand through participation in after-school choruses, Sarasota Opera mainstage productions, summer workshops, and fully staged Youth Opera productions. As the only program in the United States committed to presenting annual full-scale opera productions for young voices, accepting all who wish to participate regardless of skill level or ability to pay, Sarasota Youth Opera is a national model for opera education.
Part of Sarasota Opera’s commitment to young people includes the commissioning of new operatic works written for children and young adults. Five new works have been presented as part of this mission. In November 2016, SYO will present its six commission, Rootabaga Country by Rachel J. Peters, based on the writings of Carl Sandburg.
ABOUT SARASOTA OPERA
Sarasota Opera is an internationally respected producer of the highest quality professional operas that are true to the vision of their composers. It is a company that fosters artistic excellence, diversity, and vitality in the Sarasota area by:
• Producing opera as a living art form through performances and composition,
• Offering a stage for American-trained principal artists,
• Producing high-caliber Apprentice and Studio Artist programs,
• Owning, maintaining, and operating the Opera House as a year-round facility, and
• Promoting and increasing public knowledge and appreciation of opera.
In addition to striving for artistic excellence, Sarasota Opera directs itself toward becoming accessible to all segments of the greater community through coordinated artistic, educational, and social outreach programs.