In 1926, a group of dedicated Pensacolians joined together to share their talent and passion for music. Their first performance as the Pensacola Philharmonic Orchestra and Military Band was a free concert held in the Pensacola High School auditorium. The show earned high accolades from the community and made it clear that Pensacola was hungry for exceptional music. These humble beginnings ignited a spark that would become the Pensacola Symphony Orchestra (PSO).
Over the next couple of decades, the Orchestra experienced tremendous expansion and the pains that often accompany such growth. PSO did not have a space of our own and continued to perform at Pensacola High School, Blount Junior High School, Pensacola Junior College, and area churches. In 1956, with unparalleled community support, the Pensacola Symphony Orchestra purchased Sacred Heart Cathedral located on the corner of 9th and Jackson Streets. The move signaled the permanence of our stay in the community.
Twenty-six years later, in 1982, PSO moved into the recently renovated Saenger Theatre. The new venue allowed then conductor, Dr. Grier Williams, to share his musical vision with a larger audience and the stage was set to solidify the Pensacola Symphony Orchestra as an integral part of cultural arts in Pensacola.
PSO has continued to grow and increase its presence in Pensacola and the surrounding communities. As the Orchestra enters its 91st season, it is dedicated now more than ever to ensure live symphonic music reaches as many listeners as possible. Engaging enrichment programs bring the PSO to students of all ages, spreading enthusiasm through free concerts, special programs for families, and involvement with other community and cultural arts initiatives.
The Pensacola Symphony Orchestra is forever grateful to, you, its friends and neighbors who join us to share a love and appreciation for extraordinary music. We look forward to a lifetime of creating wonderful memories together.